Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Second star to the right and straight on till morning.

I have been bad with keeping up my blog but it's only because I am spending all my time experiencing London, and in the time I do sit back and relax I usually have to read for class or skype my parents. Nevertheless... I will try to keep this up as much as I can.

Last week was probably one of the worst weeks I have had in a while.. My computer decided to die, I got bad news from home, and I just started to feel a little overwhelmed. Luckily, one of my oldest and most wonderful friends Whitney visited me last weekend so I was able to push my troubles aside and have some fun.

Thursday night, around 1030, I journeyed to Fulham Broadway to pick Whitney up from where the EasyBus dropped her off. It was weird to be reunited in the land of the Queen, but after 6+ months apart it was wonderful to see her. We caught up and journeyed back to Bedford Pl with talks of weekend plans. We skyped my parents and then went to bed, because Friday we had the longest day in the history of the planet. (Not really, but it was close).

Friday morning we woke up at about 8:30 and were out the door by 9:30. We stopped by the British Museum for a very short time, but had enough time to copy a little girls pose in front of an Easter Island statue. CamHams stop #1! We then took the tube to Oxford Circus because I had to take in my computer to the Apple store, but luckily this didn't take long and hardly set us back any time at all. After that was taken care of, we went over to Borough Market and I showed Whitney the English style of Costco. We tried all sorts of samplings of delicious cheeses and jams, breads and dips. It was DI-VINE. We both got a lamb burger from a little greek stand that was heaven in my mouth. So delicious. We also split a Banoffee, of course, because it has become physically impossible for me to go a day without banoffee. My waistline will back me up on that.

After a disappointing shot of espresso from Monmouth we went over to Parliament, Big Ben, & Westminster Abbey. Took the tourist photos, and I attempted to give Whitney the condensed version of the Angie tour. Hopped on the tube & went over to Buckingham Palace, & walked through ST. James's Park. It was sunny, so we made the most of it and enjoyed our park walk. But not for too long, as we had much left yet to do! We got back on the tube and headed over to Tower Bridge & the Tower of London. We actually walked across the bridge which was really cool. We saw amazing views of the city & the river Thames. When we reached the other side we did a little exploring & got a close-up view of Boris Johnson's office over at City Hall (okay, so not his office but its in that buiding somewhere!). We kept going however because there was much left to see!

I took Whitney over to St. Paul's Cathedral so she could have a picture with the 3rd largest cathedral in Europe. We met up with Michelle there and went inside and looked around. Then we walked across the wobbly bridge (aka the skinny bridge) ((also, and more properly known as, "Millennium Bridge")). We saw the Tate Modern and the Globe Theater. We thought about going inside the Globe, but it was late and it was almost time for it to close :(

I picked up my computer from Oxford st, then we decided to head over to Harrods so Whit could see the Diana/Dodi memorial. After a short while there we went to eat in Covent Garden at Rock & Sole Plaice; FIsh & Chips of course! It was delicious. We picked up some Ben's Cookies as well, for dessert. At this point we were EXHAUSTED but determined to go out, so we went home for a bit to rest & figure out the next move. Once at home we realized clubbing was not going to happen since our legs were about to fall off, so we went to a pub in Leicester Square. It was chill & lax.

Saturday morning we slept in a bit (until 930) and then headed over to Kensington palace & Hyde Park. We went into the palace and saw two exhibitions-- one on the fashions of Princess Diana, and another on the last debutantes. Both featured pretty ball gowns, so of course I LOVED it. After the palace we walked around Hyde Park and saw the Diana memorial fountain, the albert memorial, and desperately searched for the Peter Pan statue. We FINALLY found him and took our neverland pics. By this point we were waddling like old ladies because our legs & feet hurt so much, but we powered through because that's what you do when your on a schedule. We ate at a little mexican restuarant (SAY WHAT!?) in Notting Hill that was actually pretty decent. The Carne Asada tacos were nothing compared to the 2 dollar tacos you get at Olvera Street (and they were definitely NOT $2) but paired with a jamaica I felt almost like I was home. Almost.

After lunch we went back to the flat and rested because we were going out. We went out to the East End that night, to a random little club that played HORRIBLE music but cover was free so we couldn't complain too much. We danced & drank & met some nice boys from Cambridge, who showed us the "best place for SHEESH kabobs" in the east end. Not gonna lie, they were pretty amazing. We had fun chatting and eating, and one of them, Tom, even offered to give us a tour of Cambridge whenever we were "keen" since the guys graduated from Cambridge 2 years ago. We havent gone yet but I definitely want to take them up on the offer.

Whitney left early sunday morning so I didnt see her off, but I had such a fun weekend. It was nice playing the tour guide, made me feel like I really know London. which, I guess I do, since I barely had to use the map! Yay-uh!

Sunday I slept in and then went to the Chinese New Year festival in Leicester & Trafalgar squares. I dont know if it was because I was exhausted, but I was underimpressed. Nevertheless the weekend was fun-filled and the leg pains were definitely worth it.






No comments:

Post a Comment